Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
March 14, 20122012 NCAA Tournament - Midwest Region
No. 16 Vermont vs. No. 1 North Carolina
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Current Records (Last Game):
Vermont-UNC Series: North Carolina and Vermont have met three times in Chapel Hill with the Tar Heels winning all three meetings. Friday will be the first meeting between the two schools since UNC beat the Catamounts 93-65 in Chapel Hill on Dec. 21, 2004 (during Roy Williams' second season in Chapel Hill). That win is the only time Williams has faced Vermont as a head coach in his career.
Vermont Web Site: Official Site
Vermont's NCAA Tournament History
Carolina's NCAA Tournament History
* The winner of Friday's game will advance to a third round game against either No. 8 seed Creighton or No. 9 seed Alabama on Sunday in Greensboro.
* The Tar Heels are seeking their third NCAA championship in the last eight years under head coach Roy Williams, having won the 2005 national title in St. Louis and the 2009 championship in Detroit.
* UNC is a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament for a tournament record 14th time and the fifth time under Williams.
* Carolina has won 16 of its last 19 NCAA Tournament games (since 2007).
* Vermont has won 15 of its last 16 games overall.
* UVM features a young squad this season that has only two seniors on the roster, starts three sophomores and has a freshman as one of its top scorers.
* Of Vermont's 24 wins this season, 16 have been by double figures.
* UVM averages 71.6 points per game in its 24 wins and only 57.6 in its 11 losses.
* Vermont's senior class has 96 career wins, which are the most for any class in school history.
Team notes courtesy of UVM & UNC Athletic Communications